Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Wedding Dress!!!

Soooooo......how many of you out there still have your wedding dress hanging in a closet, air suctioned in a box, or stuffed in a bag somewhere???? Well, I was talking to a dear friend and she posed the thought of getting rid of hers!!!! I was like, "oh no! I would never get rid of mine!" But I've been thinking, why do I keep it????? It's sentimental. I love my wedding dress. Maybe one of my nieces would like to wear it in the next decade. Now I am thinking of getting rid of it. What do you think??? I wonder if there is a non-profit out there that takes wedding dresses???

9 comments:

The Cavanaugh's said...

I'm definately still keeping mine. I don't really have any expectations that anyone I love will want to wear it, but that's not really the point for me. I have this hope that I will wear it again in some sweet romantic 'renewing' of my vows. :) If that's not motivation to keep running, I don't know what is! :)

The Houghton's said...

I think the history in keeping it was that your daughter would wear it and you'd pass it along. I got mine boxed up at a cleaners. It's under my bed. I'm not sure Kaylee will wear it later... or even if it's all cut up in the box. In fact it will be way out of style... it alredy is and it's only been 8 years. I'm not planning on throwing mine away.

Ryan, Jane, Nate and Zach said...

Anyone sew in your family? Hang on to it for a couple more years then have someone sew princess dresses for your girls for halloween - that's what my mom did with some of her old fancy dresses.
Or just save it for your girls to play dress up in when they're 9. (I just gave all my old bridesmaid/prom dresses to my nieces for dress up and they were super excited!)

Brian said...

did anyone hear actually where somebody else's dress? If so, then maybe that's an argument for keeping it. But if not (and I suspect this is the case) then dump the thing.

Stef said...

Ok, can I just say that I dont even know where my wedding dress is :)... I never got it boxed up.... it is in a bag somewhere :) maybe in my garage.... i have thought about cleaning it and selling it for some extra cash... but I am not all that sentimental (even though I still hold on too and can tell you where my prom dress is - crazy huh)

Rachel said...

Keep it! It's not like you live in a little apartment and don't have the room for it. You have two daughters, and I bet they will want to try it on someday. My mother in law wore hers at anniversary parties over the years. I don't think she wore it for the whole party, or at least I hope not, but it was still neat seeing pictures of it!

I wore my mom's to the Renn Faire! Ahhh, the history of it all.

Erin said...

I'm a sap about things like that. I say keep it. How much could you possibly get for it anyway? My mom has hers and it was cool to see it and try it on when we were teenagers, although it didn't even cross my mind to wear it for my wedding. I think that if I don't have any daughters of my own, I'm going to freak out my daughter-in-laws and make it seems like I would love it if they wore my dress, just to be funny. I might even shed a tear or two when I tell them how much it would mean to me. hahaha!

Nicole Leonard said...

I know that most women would think of it as almost a sin to get rid of their wedding dress... but I did. I'm not emotionally attached to items so much so I sold mine. I couldn't imagine that my daughter would want to wear it on her wedding day. And I can't stand keeping anything that I'm not going to use. So i figured, "Why not let someone else get some enjoyment out of the dress?" I sold my dress for a pretty penny on eBay. :)

Rhymes with Queen said...

Hey Megan,

I don't know if this opinion will help as I am not married so I have no sentimental feeling toward a wedding dress... but my mother spent a few years in the Dominican Republic as a missionary while my dad was in Vietnam. After they got married she gave her dress to a woman in DR who wouldn't have had a dress otherwise. And who knows how many other times it may have been used.

I say if you don't feel a need to keep it give it to someone who needs it.